Learn How to Pray!

Sign-up for the "How To Pray The Bible" membership e-mail series! Just fill in your information Below to get started. Learn how to Pray with the Master Teacher.

Sunday, November 04, 2007

The Leading of the Spirit


"Teach me to do Your will, For You are my God; Your Spirit is good. Lead me in the land of uprightness. “– Psalms 143:10

“TEACH ME to do Your Will”, i.e. throw the responsibility of your life back on God. The one important thing for you to be absolutely sure about is that you desire, at all costs, to do God's Will. If you do not want God’s will in your life, at least you must be willing to be made willing. Heave this burden of making you willing on God, and believe that He will take it upon Himself.

His people shall be made willing in the day of His power. When this point is settled, then God by His Holy Spirit will sooner or later teach you what He wants to be done, and enable you to do it.

Like Samuel, if you say: Speak, Lord, for Your servant hears, you will hear the Voice behind you saying, This is the way, walk in it; this must be said, say it; this needs to be done, do it; and as you endeavor to obey the gentle promptings of the Spirit, you will discover that adequate strength and grace are being poured into your soul.

"Your Spirit is good." This is our only hope. Because if it were not for the infinite goodness, the patient gentleness and the loving tolerance of the Holy Spirit, we would have no chance for nothing but infinite Goodness can put up with our weaknesses and backslidings, our lapses into coldness and indifference, our unreasonableness and stubbornness. But because God's Spirit is good, we may consider that He will saturate us with His holy influence until our evil nature is defeated by His goodness, and we also in our measure become good because He is in us completely. It is said of Barnabas that he was a "good man," because he was full of the Holy Spirit and of faith.

"Lead me." David the Psalmist's prayer is--Teach me, lead me, correct me. We must make this prayer our own. What better guarantee of being led the right way than for us to yield ourselves to our gentle and gracious Guide. We are like little children that require to be led, as the mother or father takes the child by the hand and leads them to school, and then goes and gets them again. Some of us are blind, and need a kindly hand to guide us as we grope in the dark.

Let us walk in the Spirit, be led by the Spirit, and be very sensitive to the Spirit. Then we will instinctively know God's Will, and do it naturally.

PRAYER

I need a hand to lead me through the darkness,
For I am weak and helpless as a child;
And if alone I have to take my journey,
My feet will stumble on mountains wild.

I need to hear Your silent voice out loud,
For I am weak and helpless as a cloud;
And if alone I have to take my journey,
I will be blown away by earthly winds wild.

I need You Holy Spirit in

Jesus’ Name AMEN.

No comments: