Learn How to Pray!

Sign-up for the "How To Pray The Bible" membership e-mail series! Just fill in your information Below to get started. Learn how to Pray with the Master Teacher.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Are You Completely Willing to be Guided by the Will of God? Then “Wait on the Lord.” And Pray!

“Wait on the Lord.” Psalm 27:14

It may seem an easy thing to wait, but it is one of the positions that every Christian soldier must learn that takes years of teaching. Marching and quick-marching are much easier for God’s warriors than the standing still. There are many hours of puzzlement when the most willing of spirits, earnestly eager to serve the Lord, does not know what part or way to go. Then what are we to do? Upset ourselves with despair? Fly back in cowardice, turn to the right hand in fear, or rush forward in a best guess deduction?

No, just simply wait. Wait in prayer, however. Call upon God, and spread your case before him; tell him your difficulty, and plead His promise of help. In a catch-22, not knowing what to do between one duty and another, or which way or the other, it is sweet to be humble as a child, and wait with ease of soul on the Lord. It is sure to be well with us when we feel and know our own foolishness, and are completely willing to be guided by the will of God.

But wait in faith. Express your incredible confidence in Him; because unfaithful, untrusting waiting is nothing but an insult to the Lord. Believe that if He continues to keep you waiting even until you think it is too late, yet He will come at the right time; the idea will come and He will not be late.

Wait in quiet patience, not rebelling because you are under this hardship, but praising your God for it. Never mumble or complain against this second cause, as the children of Israel did against Moses. Never wish you could go back to the world again, but accept the situation as it is, and place it as it stands, simply and with your whole heart, without any self-will, into the hand of your covenant God.

Say to your Father, “Now, Lord, not my will, but Yours be done. I don’t know what to do; I am at the end of my rope, but I will wait until You will stop the floods, or drive back my enemies. I will wait, if You keep me this way for many days, because my heart is fixed on You alone, O God, and my spirit waits for You in the full conviction that You will yet be my joy and my salvation, my refuge and my strong tower.”

Keep an eye out for my new book on prayer!

No comments: